I am excited to share all of the progress since my last update on Wednesday last week. Adeline is growing and developing more every day. This morning, she weighed 1800 grams (almost 4 lbs) and was 18 inches long! She is a tall and thin girl - clearly she did not get this from me.
Last Wednesday, she was unable to take any of her feedings by mouth and all nutrition was given to her through a tube. Over the Memorial Day weekend, she began to develop her suck/swallow reflex. Now, she is eating 3/4 of her feedings by mouth. This is a huge improvement and we are so proud of her!
The nurses are expecting to discontinue the feeding tube in the next few days, and then it will be up to Adeline to continue to gain weight and eat effectively and efficiently. Once she is able to do this for a couple days, she will be moved to an open crib. If she can continue to maintain her body temperature in an open crib and continues to eat and gain weight, she can go home! I am hoping she will be ready by the end of next week.
I have been driving to and from the hospital every couple hours to feed Adeline and hold her. She is such a sweet baby and rarely cries. She has huge blue eyes and is very alert. I just love spending time with her, and I am anxious to bring her home. Some days, it is difficult to be patient. Please pray for Adeline to continue to grow and develop, and for me to have patience to allow her to do that.
Yay, Adeline! Sounds like she is making great progress. Will continue to keep everyone in my prayers...hoping she is home before you know it!
ReplyDelete